Is your garage door start showing troubles for a variety of various reasons? It is very common as your garage door gets older they can start to malfunction, its tracks may become bent and damaged, the motors can lose its power, springs may lose its strength or torsion, and mounting brackets may become loose.
Most of the problems need properly qualified and certified garage door repair technician to fix or replace the garage door parts. Let me share my experience with you when I tried to search “who can fix a broken garage door” and my position in the garage was very offensive. It breaks my concentration when I have any serious work. However, there are plenty of garage door problems that you can fix on your own.
The common complaint about the malfunctioned garage door is that the door will not open smoothly at all. If you press the button of garage door remote, and the garage door is completely refusing to open then there are few factors to check on urgent basis:
- Check the garage door remote to make sure that the batteries have enough power
- Check to confirm that the garage door motor is still securely plugged in into its socket
- Check the fuse box to confirm that a breaker or fuse was not tripped
- Check the mechanism thoroughly to ensure that the antenna is hanging down properly
- Check the wall switch to confirm if it works to open the garage door. if it does then you should replace the batteries of remote control and try to reprogram the garage door opener
Another most common garage door problem is that when the garage door will not open or close properly all the way it should be. It can be caused by the misaligned garage door tracks which are not in a position to slide down properly. You should also inspect garage door tracks thoroughly to find out any obstruction or bend. If it has, fix the track using a rubber hammer. To test the performance of the garage door, disconnect it from the opener to operate it manually. If you are able to raise or lower it by hand smoothly without any difficultly then there are chances that the close limit switch is to blame. If the close limit switch is:
- Too close to the garage door motor then the garage door will close properly but the motor will not stop functioning
- Too far from the garage door motor then garage door will not perform its opening task successfully
In these critical cases, it is good to leave the configuration of the switches to a reputed and professional garage door repair company. There is one more thing that can cause malfunctioning in the garage door sensor. Modern garage doors have sensors near the bottom to stop the garage door being closed whenever detect any object like pets, cars, and toddlers under it. Garage door sensors are programmed to sense if something is blocking the path of garage door and will stop it from closing. Therefore if you experience that garage door goes back before touching the ground, you will have to make sure that there is nothing that is tripping the sensors.